Treating geriatric patients requires a very unique type of doctor. Patience and understanding are critical to a good doctor patient relationship. Dr. Salwan and Dr. Ashima are the visiting physician for numerous assisted living, nursing home, and memory care facilities.
A comprehensive geriatric exam will include an assessment of current symptoms and illnesses and their impact on the patient. They will also include the following…
- Current medications, their indications and effects.
- Relevant past illnesses.
- Recent and impending life changes.
- Objective measure of overall personal and social functionality.
- Current and future living environment and its appropriateness to function and prognosis.
- Family situation and availability.
- Current caregiver network including its deficiencies and potential.
- Objective measure of cognitive status.
- Objective assessment of mobility and balance.
- Rehabilitative status and prognosis if ill or disabled.
- Current emotional health and substance abuse.
- Nutritional status and needs.
- Disease risk factor screenings, and health promoting activities.
- Discussions of advanced directives, living will, and power of attorney.
- immunizations for Shingles, pneumonia, tetanus, and flu.